Gunupati Venkata Krishna Reddy, also referred to as Dr GVK Reddy, is the Founder Chairman and Managing Director of GVK. a Hyderabad-based leading Infrastructure Conglomerate. With pioneering initiatives across energy, resources, airports, transportation, hospitality and life-sciences sectors, Dr. GVK Reddy has reaffirmed the Indian mettle on a global arena. He set up India’s first independent power plant in Andhra Pradesh, in 1997.
He has successfully executed India’s first six-lane expressway connecting Jaipur to Kishangarh in the state of Rajasthan. GVK was also the first to develop a brown field airport in Public Private Partnership (PPP) model. In one of the most significant achievements, GVK’s new iconic CSIA Terminal 2 was inaugurated at the hands of Hon’ble Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh. The new T2 is home to India’s largest public art programme (Jaya He), in the form of a 3 km multi-story Art Wall, illuminated by skylights, that has over 7050 pieces of artwork & artefacts from Maharashtra and also every region & corner of India.In yet another major achievement, GVK’s Bengaluru International Airport has been renamed as Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru and a new terminal was inaugurated. With these two major airports being operational, GVK is set to expand in airport business both in India and abroad.
|Gunupati Venkata Krishna Reddy|
|Born||22 March 1937
Kothur-Nellore District, Andhra Pradesh, India
|Occupation||Founder Chairman & MD of GVK Group|
|Awards||Padma Bhushan (2010)|
Early life and career
He was born on 22 March 1937 in Kothur village of Nellore district, Andhra Pradesh. He did his basic schooling from Kothur, early college from Nellore and graduated from Hyderabad.He later pursued Owner/President Management (OPM) Program from Harvard Business School, USA. GVK Reddy has been bestowed with the honorary title, “Doctor of Philosophy” by the renowned Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, India.
Reddy began his career by contracting major irrigation projects including bridges, dams and irrigation canals.
Reddy is also a sports enthusiast and has been consistently encouraging and nurturing budding young sporting talent. Dr. Reddy has set up a tennis academy for youth in Hyderabad.
GVK has also come forward to sponsor talented upcoming tennis players from Hyderabad like Yadlapalli Pranjala, Sama Sathwika and Master Shashank Theertha.
Reddy entered into the business starting with the construction of Nagarjuna Sagar Right Canal. Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, the world’s largest masonry stone dam at the time of its construction, was built across the river Krishna in Nagarjuna Sagar, Nalgonda District of Telangana. The dam was constructed for optimum utilization of water from river Krishna. The construction began in 1956 and was completed by 1969. Then, Reddy moved to Khammam to undertake two major construction projects – Muneru aqueduct and 100 ft. deep Venkatapaleyam deep cut canal.Then he moved upstream to Srisailam Dam project which involved the excavation of foundation for a powerhouse on the right bank.
Reddy acquired majority shareholding in Hotel Banjara, a four star hotel and became the managing director and completed the project by 1976-77. Collaboration with Holiday Inn marked his entry into the hospitality business. He also incorporated Novopan India Limited, being the first company in India to bring the Pre-laminated Particle Board Technology to manufacture Plain and Melamine Faced Particle Boards.
Dr GVK Reddy has been a pioneer in India’s infrastructure sector. Guided by his vision and leadership, GVK has successfully implemented projects in record time.
- GVK set up India’s first Independent Power Project (IPP) in the private sector at Jegurupadu, Andhra Pradesh to generate 217 MW power and added another 228 MW in the second phase. GVK commissioned another power plant at Kakinada, AP, to generate 469 MW power.
- GVK has successfully executed India’s first six-lane expressway connecting Jaipur to Kishangarh in the state of Rajasthan. GVK also developed a four-lane road project between Deoli and Kota in Rajasthan and developing a six-lane project between Bagodara and Vasad in Gujarat.
- GVK also developed hydro power projects in the states of Uttarakhand and a thermal power project in the state of Punjab.
- GVK is engaged in the operation and modernization of Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, which has been termed as one of the most challenging infrastructure projects in the world. GVK CSIA’s new integrated Terminal 2 which commenced operations on 12 February 2014, has bagged many awards and accolades and attained an iconic status across the globe for integrating a world-class design, infrastructure and operational efficiency.
- GVK is engaged in the management of Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru and is developing the infrastructure to meet the growing air traffic. The new Terminal at GVK KIA is at par with the best in the world with enhanced design and facilities to elevate passengers’ travel experience.
- In the hospitality sector, GVK has built some of the finest luxury hotels in Hyderabad, Mumbai Chandigarh and Chennai. GVK currently owns seven 5-star hotels.
- GVK has set up GVK one, a mega retail mall spread over 700,000 sq ft in Hyderabad.
- GVK has acquired coal mines from Hancock Prospecting Ltd. in Queensland, Australia with total resources of about 8 billion tonne and a capacity of more than 80 million tonne per annum. The infrastructure project involves the development, ownership and operation of an integrated “pit-to-port project” consisting of a 500 km rail line and a 60 million tonne per annum port at Abbot Point.
Awards and recognition
- Dr. GVK Reddy has been bestowed with the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ at India Aviation 2014 for his contribution to Aviation Sector in the country.
- Dr. GVK Reddy won Infrastructure Person of the Year award at Construction Week India awards.
- Recognized as ‘PowerBrands Hall of Fame Corporate Luminary of the Year – 2012’.
- Awarded Padma Bhushan – the third highest civilian award of India in 2011.
- “Construction World — Man of the year 2011″ award by Construction World.
- “Best First Generation Entrepreneur of the Year 2010″ award under the India Business Leaders Awards instituted by CNBC-TV 18.
- Conferred “Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2009″ from Economic Times.
- Under his leadership, GVK won the “Most Promising Infrastructure Company of the year 2009″award by KPMG.
- Excellence Award at the International Telugu Cultural Conference held at the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the Telugu Association of Malaysia.
- Felicitated by The Telugu Literary and Cultural Association, US.
- Conferred Life Membership of the World Telugu Federation, Chennai.