Anil Dhirubhai Ambani is an Indian business magnate, and investor. He is the chairman of Reliance Group (also referred to Reliance ADA Group) which came into existence in June 2005 following a demerger from Reliance Industries Limited. He leads a large number of listed corporations including Reliance Capital,Reliance Infrastructure, Reliance Power and Reliance Communications.Ambani’s net worth is $3.3 billion according to the Forbes billionaire list for 2016.
His major interests in entertainment include 44 FM radio stations, nationwide DTH business, animation studios, and several multiplex cinemas throughout India. He is married to former Bollywood actress, Tina Munim and has two sons Anmol and Anshul.
After the death of his father in 2002, Anil Ambani took over the reins of Reliance Group with interests in Telecom, Entertainment, Financial Services, Power and Infrastructure.
In 2008, Ambani is also credited with India’s largest IPO of Reliance Power which was subscribed in less than 60-second on offer, fastest in the history of Indian capital markets till date.
Ambani made his debut into the entertainment industry with an acquisition of a majority stake in Adlabs Films in 2005, a company with interests in film processing, production, exhibition and digital cinema, the company was later renamed to Reliance MediaWorks in 2009.
In 2008 a joint venture worth US$1.2 billion with Steven Spielberg’s production company DreamWorks cast Ambani’s entertainment business on to a global platform. Through this link he has contributed to the production of a number of films with Steven Spielberg, including the Academy Award winning film Lincoln in 2012.
|Born||4 June 1959
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Alma mater||University of Mumbai
University of Pennsylvania
|Occupation||Chairman of Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group|
|Net worth||US$2.5 billion (December 2016)|
|Relatives||Mukesh Ambani (Brother)|
- 1Awards and recognition
- 4External links
Awards and recognition
- Conferred the ‘Businessman of the Year 1997’ award by India’s leading business magazine Business India, December 1997.
- Voted ‘the Businessman of the Year’ in a poll conducted by The Times of India – TNS, December 2006.
- Voted the ‘Best role model’ among business leaders in the biannual Mood of the Nation poll conducted by India Today magazine, August 2006.
- Conferred ‘the CEO of the Year 2004’ in the Platts Global Energy Awards.
- Conferred ‘The Entrepreneur of the Decade Award’ by the Bombay Management Association, October 2002.
- Awarded the First Wharton Indian Alumni Award by the Wharton India Economic Forum (WIEF) in recognition of his contribution to the establishment of Reliance as a global leader in many of its business areas, December 2001.
- Selected by Asiaweek magazine for its list of ‘Leaders of the Millennium in Business and Finance’ and was introduced as the only ‘new hero’ in Business and Finance from India, June 1999.
- Yogesh Chabria, Happionaire’s Cash The Crash. CNBC – Network18, 2009. ISBN 978-81-906479-5-3